San Domenico church
An indication of the commercial importance of Cammarata, which due to the strong increase had taken on the appearance of a country, was the establishment of a hospital (the hospital, at the church of S. Antonio (today S. Domenico), existed from the 14th century ". Since the building had collapsed," the hospital was refounded by the priests of Cammarata on 6 January 1493. "At the beginning of the 19th century, because of the building in danger, the patients were transported to the monastery of the Annunciation , first, and then in a building opposite the matrix, then in 1937, following the testamentary bequests of the brothers Luigi and Salvatore Longo, the hospital was moved to the premises of Via L. Longo and in 1984, for hygienic reasons sanitary ware, in a new building in the district of S. Lucia.),
Until the end of the 1800s, there were several religious orders that were based in their own convents, including the Dominicans. The building, now used as a scientific high school, with a church dating back to 1509, stands where the ancient church and Hospital of Sant’Antonio Abate once stood. The church, popularly known as San Domenico, was destroyed in 1913 by a fire but was rebuilt around 1931-1934. On the pediment of his portal we read: "Templum Deo Divo Antonio dicatum a predicatoribus colitur" which means "The church dedicated to God and Saint Anthony is curated by preachers". In the present church of San Domenico we find the painting of the Madonna di Monserrato signed by Carlo Lo Presti. In fact, before the same chapel there was the burial of the whole Lo Presti family. Then we have the statue of San Michele in gilded wood and the painting of San Domenico by Vincenzo Lo Presti. The Madonna of the Rosary donated by Francesco Lo Bue in 1726, a statue carved in Naples in 1624. We also have the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows about 1.80 meters high and bears on the pedestal the emblem of the Traina family: according to a tradition preserved in the family, a their ancestor who one evening returned from the countryside, was stopped by a woman dressed in mourning who suggested he change course because his enemies had ambushed him. Signor Traina, devoted to Our Lady of Sorrows, attributed to her that miraculous intervention and had this statue carved for the church of San Domenico. There are the Sant’Antonio crucifix, a very beautiful and precious wood sculpture, the statue of San Vincenzo Ferreri by Antonio La Bella and the statue of the Madonna del Carmine, bought at the beginning of the century. The Church has been governed for several years by Monsignor De Gregorio who has enriched it with various canvases and restored the old works and finally had an organ built with 540 canes. On January 17th, the feast of Saint Anthony in the church is celebrated.