On 1627 Maria SS. Fearers listened to the pleas of the Cammarese and Sangiovannese people so that the plague that many victims was causing was eradicated. The terrible disease stopped. The Most Holy Virgin had performed the miracle and became Primary Patroness of Cammarata and San Giovanni Gemini. Let us ask him, today, with living faith, to protect us from the modern plague, which is also terrible and devastating, the daughter of our fake progress. Let's never tire of begging you ... .I will never tire of repeating it! ". Don Nicolò Mastrella
The Confraternity was founded by bull of Paul IV in 1555 in the church of San Giuseppe, below that of S. Maria. It was confirmed on July 23, 1746, it was superior N. Gugliuzzo; in 1772 they were superior V. Gulpi, F.Munti, C. Di Caloiaro; in 1799 A. Giunta; in 1825 C. La Duca; in 1835 D. Longo. The Confraternity wears a dark blue suit with a visor and a flag of the same color with a red cross in the field. In 1867, due to the cholera, the church of San Giuseppe was closed and the statue of the saint was carried to S. Maria. The Brotherhood began to gather in the rooms of the convent. On the feast of St. Joseph, the archpriest, and then the parish priest of St. Vitus, celebrated in St. Mary and performed acts of jurisdiction over the Brotherhood. Mons. Peruzzo with the decree of 19/04/1939 established that the Confraternity remained under the disciplinary offices of the Friars Minor and in those same premises they had their headquarters. The Confraternity is still active for the many confreres still registered in the quarters, from the quarter of wheat that was offered; today the share in cash is paid. The Confraternity finds its synthesis in the COMMITTEE that takes care of the festivities, manages the collection of offers and gives testimony to the traditions. In the thirties, the feast of St. Joseph, in addition to March 19, began to celebrate even the penultimate Sunday in August, so as to encourage incentives; after the pisata and the harvest of the wheat it was more available to the generosity. At the beginning of the 60's the committee moved the party to August 24th to avoid, at times, the concomitance with the party at Lercara Friddi of the 20th and 21st. Another change in 1970: the feast of St. Joseph is brought forward to August 18th in so that those who returned to Cammarata and San Giovanni for the summer holidays could participate. Until 1971, the feast of St. Joseph took place independently from that of Maria SS. Cacciapensieri; there were two separate and separate Committees. In 1972 a single Committee was set up in order to optimize resources and time. From that year we will talk about a party dedicated to Mary. Cacciapensieri and San Giuseppe. In the mid-70s the land was bought and the Committee building was built in via Liguria, Cammarata. On 29 April 1998 the committee became a non-profit association; The Religious Religious Association Maria SS. is established with a notarial deed. Cacciapensieri and San Giuseppe.
PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY MARY OF JESUS HOLY MARY OF JESUS ....
muddicheddi of memory (from Cammarata chronicles of the XIX and XX centuries by D. De Gregorio) On 29 October 1949 the bishop Monsignor Peruzzo visited the church of Santa Maria where parish activity began to take place. He celebrated in S. Maria, thus giving birth to the new parish, entrusted to the Rev. Father Celestino Puglisi, the first parish priest. Sunday, June 20, 1954 at about 4 pm, at the station of Cammarata, coming from Palermo by car, Mons. Francesco Fasola, coadjutor bishop of Agrigento. The clergy and the faithful welcomed him numerous. The father Celestino Puglisi, after the greeting of the archpriest Madonia, spoke saying, among other things, that in the parish of S. Maria the Madonna of Cacciapensieri had been prayed for him. Later, Msgr. Fasola told of having arrived in the diocese with grave concerns; hearing "Madonna di Cacciapensieri" he was reassured. Coming in Cammarata and S. Giovanni never failed to go to pray the Madonna di Cacciapensieri. In July 1954, Father Filippo Piscopo da Favara was assigned to the convent of S. Maria. On June 13, 1955, the new premises of the church of S. Maria were inaugurated. On May 29, 1956, the church of Santa Maria was erected in the Parish. On September 30, 1956 in the parish of St. Mary celebrates his golden priestly wedding, Fr. Domenico Di Marco, present the civil, religious and military authorities. To the gospel the p. Filippo Piscopo exalts the figure of Fr. Dominic missionary, professor, historian and above all priest. On 19 January 1957, father Filippo Piscopo ofm was appointed parish priest of S. Maria. On January 27, 1957, Monsignor Francesco Fasola consecrated the church of S. Maria and the altar of San Giuseppe. On September 6th, 1960 the new tabernacle, by Gino Legnaghi of Verona, is placed on the high altar of S. Maria. On September 16, 1961 work began on the restructuring of the convent of Santa Maria.
THE PATRIARCH SAN GIUSEPPE
Father Domenico De Gregorio in his book 'Cammarata Notizie sul territorio' writes that the church of San Giuseppe must be considered built in the second half of 1500 ... .the statue of Saint Joseph, after the cholera of 1867, because in the church they were buried by the colerosi, it was definitively transported and honored in Santa Maria where, even before, it was brought for the party. Of the venerated image of St. Joseph, placed in the fourth altar to the right of those who enter, the author gets lost; with his right hand he holds the Child Jesus, standing, and with his left he holds a stick from which white lilies sprout to signify the chastity, purity and holiness of the bridegroom of the Most Holy Virgin.
The feast of the Patriarch St. Joseph, beyond March 19, in the thirties solemnly celebrated the penultimate Sunday in August; subsequently it was moved to the 24 of the same month. From the early seventies to today the Solemnity is celebrated on August 18, in a continuous way with the feast of August 15, dedicated, since time immemorial, to Maria Santissima di Cacciapensieri. What has never changed is the moving participation in the procession of votive candles. In seeing all those faithful who carry, beyond the offerings to the Saint, the signs, easily legible, of devotion, gratitude and hope, arrizzanu the meats. With the torches in hand, more or less heavy, and barefoot from the Gianguarna in Cammarata and from 'u common pizzu in San Giovanni, begins u travel sign of faith and of the enormous devotion that for the Patriarch Saint Joseph is cultivated in our communities . Tired and hot, the participants in the parade, preceded by ancient banners, embroidered by hand depicting Saint Joseph and accompanied by members of the committee and the band, arrive at the feet of the saint satisfied to have fulfilled the prmmisioni done by grace received. The crowded Eucharistic celebrations in the Shrine begin very early, the first mass of 6.30, followed by the celebrations of 10.00 and 11.30, after the arrival of the torches. But the great appointment and the solemn celebration of 19.30 in the square next to the church; the processional statue of the Madonna di Cacciapensieri and of the Patriarch San Giuseppe are welcomed by a multitude of faithful, the priests of Cammarata and San Giovanni concelebrate the Holy Mass, animated by the great instrumental polyphonic choir. At the end of the celebration begins the procession of the venerated images of the Madonna and St. Joseph through the streets of the neighborhood with the sound of the drums and the musical band interspersed with the recitation of the rosary. Around midnight the simulacra return to the church receiving a final greeting from the faithful faithful who, after witnessing the fireworks, return home happy to have once again honored at best the Father of Providence and Custos of the Holy Family of Nazareth.